The Project  
 Projects of the Partners  
 The Forum  
 Virtual Exhibition  
 Press Comments  

Culture 2000

European Union




Inauguration of the pathway of Neustadt/Spessart

The benedictine Abbey of Neustadt is one of the oldest and most important monasteries of the Franconian region. It was originally founded in 768/69 A.D., by Megingoz, the second bishop of Würzburg, who died around 783/94, at a place called »Rorinlacha«, which has not yet been exactly identified. Together with Amorbach, Neustadt largely contributed to the Karolingian missionary work among the Saxons. Among the first abbots of the bishopric of Verden, at the Aller River, three of them were from Neustadt. Following its destruction during the Hungarian invasions of the 10th Century, the monastery became dependent on the bishopric of Würzburg, where it remained up to the secularization in 1803. Soon after Neustadt, with all its possessions, was given to the princes of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg, in recompensation for their losses of territory in the western Rhineland. A fire in 1857 destroyed the monastery and most of the church. Since 1907 the monastery has been a convent of missionary Dominican nuns. Don't forget, at the end of your walk, to have a look at the rich interior of the church and the small but exquisite one-room »lapidarium« in it. For opening times inquire at the monastery.


Monastery of Neustadt/Spessart

Monastery of Neustadt/Spessart: Carolingian ornament

Opening ceremony of the Pathway of Neustadt

Tastescape of the Spessart

Mayor of Neustadt in front of the beginning of the pathway

The project manager Gerrit Himmelsbach

design: Kai M. Wurm
menu back print